Please visit and support our Sponsor:
FireWire Depot is your source for 1394a and 1394b devices and
- It's over.
- Jobs is summarizing
- Mac or PC. $249. Shipping next month in the US. April worldwide
- Just one more thing... about the iPod mini. It comes in colors. Gold, Silver, Blue, Pink and Green. A
whole family of colors. Anodized aluminum.
- Supports both Firewire and USB2. Can charge from USB2 or Firewire. both cables are supplied. And we
supply a new belt clip with it. Two accessories. A dock, and am armband.
- When you turn it on, you don't get some cheesy user interface, you get the same user interface as the
iPod. We added buttons to the solid state scroll wheel.
- Even smaller then the iPod. It is the size of a business card.
- Instead of 256MB, it's got 4000MB (or 4GB). Instead of 60 songs, it holds 1000 songs. It is half the
thickness of these other MP3 players. And we are going to sell it for $249.
- We are going to introduce the second member of the iPod family today. to go after these guys. It's
called the iPod
- Also these players have a bad user interface.
- So, the iPod. Now I want to go back to this market share data. I want to drill down into this a little
more. Now, we look
at this, and the iPod has the 31% marketshare. What's the rest? The big chunk is flash... about 60% of
that. 30% are Flash
players between $100-$200. Equal 30% that's under $100. We looked at this high end flash market and we
want to go after
that. The under $100 flash players get put into a drawer since they don't hold enough songs.
- Last thing. A new ad. People have really liked the new Ad campaign.
- Second thing is a pair of in-ear headphones. come in a cool box. $39.
- Today, we are updating the 10GB to 15GB today for the same price $299.
- In Oct/Nov. We had a 31% marketshare in units. and 55% in revenue. #1 in the entire MP3 space. We
think December #s are going to be higher
- Over 2 millionth iPod sold in December. Showing sales curve. (going up)
- Really good holday quarter. Sold 730,000 ipods last quarter
- How many people here don't have an ipod? Not many, it seems.
- Jobs: So, iLife 04. Avail on Jan 16th. 10 days from day. Now the iPod...
- Showing video for iLife. Eligah wood, sheryl crow, tony hawk etc...
- First companion product. "JamPack" - more instruments etc... over 2000 more loops, 15 more guitar amps,
over 100 more instruments. JamPack - $99. Avail Jan 16th. Other companion product. Keyboard. 49 key
entry level KB for $99
- Free with every new Mac!
- Comparing to how much it would cost on the PC. Add it all up - over $300 and it's nowhere near as good
as these apps or integrated. iLife 04 => $49.00
- iLife 04 (iDVD, iMovie, iTunes, iPhoto, GarageBand). How much?
- Can export to iTunes from GarageBand
- guitar players love old amps due to interesting sounds. 1/2 dozen great amps built-in. John playing
- Still demoing
- Loaded a bunch of software instruments. Just have John play. John's playing a midi keyboard hooked to
- John Mayer to demo GarageBand
- And of course live recording. All in one app. And this is what it looks like...
- Digitally mix up to 64 tracks. Play over 50 software instruments. Over 1000 professional audio loops.
Over 200 pro-quality audio effects. Software instruments right on your mac.
- Turns your mac into a pro quality musical app and recording studio. Is it a niche thing? No. 1/2 of
all US households
that has someone who is a current musician. 1/2 of US households
- Demoing iDVD
- A big request is to create and archive on non-Superdrive machine. Can now do that.
- We couldn't update iMovie without updating iDVD. 20 new high quality themes, plus old ones. enhanced
slide shows, improved navigation app. pro encoding from Final Cut Pro. Dramatically better quality - up
to 2 hours encoding now!
- Sharing. We want to put that on our website. Even easier. Select clip, just go to share and you pick
homepage and choose selected clip only. Will auto-convert to something appropriate for the web and upload
- Directly imports iSight video
- Can now trim clips in place. non desctructive. can go back. Audio scrub
- Next Up: iMovie. iMovie 4 - can trim clips directly in the timeline. this is going to save alot of
work. alignment guides
added. new and enhanced titles. can import video directly from an isight camera. can share movies easier.
- Photo Books available in Europe in March. Japan later this month
- That is the new iPhoto 04
- Rendezvous photosharing. demos photo sharing... just like iTunes rendezvous sharing
- Improved slideshows. cool new effects. can pick music/playlists from itunes.
- A big request is the go through photos right when imported. rate them or discard or adjust them while
- New album - "last 12 months". Can change it to 9 months or whatever... customizable. And you can have
last two rolls or last three rolls etc... Smart Album: Example - all holiday photos, done by "date range
between 12/20 and 1/1". Ratings also. 1-5 stars. Smart album - like top rated photos.
- Over 25,000 photos. Showing how he can scroll through them quickly. Resize them. (fast). Really Really
nice. Very responsive. New effects: edit mode. Sepia finallly. Another cool thing: time based
organization. In the photo library, you can now open the library and automatically gives u photos by
- Demo of iPhoto
- iPhoto: Time based organization, Smart albums (like smart playlists), Rate photos, enhanced slideshows,
and rendezvous photo sharing.
- Includes the latest and greatest of iTunes. Everything works together. iTunes works seemlessly with the
other apps. iPhoto
- we've all got a few thousand photos now. We wanted to get ahead of that. so the #1 feature is that it
supports up to 25,000
photos with blazing performance
- Next - iLife. We launched iLife a year ago. A lot of the apps we lanched before that but we pulled them
all together into a suite. Today, we are launching iLife '04. "for the rest of your life"
- So that is iTunes.
- Pepsi and Apple are going to give away 100 million songs legally starting on Feb 1. Pepsi bottles
(300mil) with specially marked caps. There will be a special pepsi button on iTunes and get a free credit
from the specially marked caps. Promo runs for 60 days.
- We have now got 500,000 songs available today on iTunes. That
makes iTunes the largest online music stores in the world
- Over 120,000 classical tracks today added.
- New features: Billboard Charts (hot 100 charts) from 1946 to present. More billboard charts to be added
genres. Available today.
- iTunes Essentials - collections of essential songs
- AOL Integration.
- Gift certificates. Over 100,000 gift certificates sold
- AudioBooks. Pleased to announce we sold over 50,000 audio books in the first quarter.
- Who was the top customer? The top spender spent $29,500.
- #1 in songs and revnue on every platform in the world
- Marketshare data from SoundScan. iTunes = 70% marketshare.
- The Gap is getting bigger and bigger (compared to competitors)
- Now, iTunes. Pleased to announce we've crossed our 30millionth song.
- $3/gigabyte. Far cheaper than other options
- Xserve RAID certified on two versions of linux and Windows XP Pro and Windows 2003 Server.
- We've qualified a bunch of Fibrechannel switches.
- Xserve RAID: 3U. Added new. 3 1/2 Terrabytes. SFP connectors. RAID Set slicing.
- We thought we ought to also update Xserve RAID.
- $2999 - single 1GHz. $3999 Dual 2.0GHz.
- Panther Server 10.3 - unlimited client license
- Now What they probably wished they could have used were Xserves... but xserves only had G4s in them until
today. G5 Xserve. two air vents in the front. 1U. Single and Dual 2.0GHz Processors. ECC Memory. DDR
400 up to 8GB. Up to 750GB of storage. 3 hot pluggable drive modules. Full complement of comm ports.
- Jobs: They looked at everything intel etc... and they fell in love with the G5 and Mac OS X. We expect
a few more popping up.
- Assembled in 3 weeks. #3 computer in the world. first academic machine to break 10 Teraflop range
- Showing Video from Virginia Tech talking about the PowerMac G5
- Can't talk about the G5 without talking about Virginia Tech and their Supercomputer.
- Steve Jobs. So, these are just a few of the apps that have taken us to 10,000 native OS X apps. Next
up... the G5
- Microsoft Rep leaves stage
- MS Technology Guarantee Program. Of you buy a copy of Office 10, you get a free upgrade to Office 2004
when available in
- Demo of Office complete.
- Can share projects with others. On a server/idisk.
- New feature that's integrated across the office suite. Project Center. Can see how your project comes
along - overview and other views. Contacts, files, appointments, mail items etc...
- Demoing Excel. Now this is a great looking spreadsheet - but how will it look when it prints? New view
in excel called
Page Layout view. Can still edit it directly in this view. "Fit To" feature which automatically fits the
the right number of pages.
- Now can record audio while you type.
- Also new too 2004. If you stop using the toolbar pallete, it become transparent (Quartz) so you can see
your document well
- Showing Mac-first features. Launching Word. Now all of us take notes. This is an example of how you
would do it in an older version. Word Notebook View demo. Makes it easy to take notes and generates
regular word files. Looks like a notebook. Quicksearch feature at top of the screen. Just type in
the word, and the section tabs on the right had side of the screen higlight blue... to let you quickly
find the information you need. Call attention to specific notes with a Note Flag feature.
- Demoing Office 2004
- Microsoft: 20 years of great software for the Mac. Announcing Office 2004 for Mac.
- Microsoft Office 2004 Announced today. Introducing microsoft rep
- FCE 2.0: $299. $99 upgrade. Available today.
- FCE 2.0: RT Extreme Performance, Adjustments are instant. Over 200 filters and
effects. Realtime color correction.
- Advanced realtime audio tools, optimized for G5 and Panther, composite up to 5 DV streams in real time.
Use filters and
transitions etc... Now demoing FCE 2.0
- We've got one too - Final Cut Express 2.0 launching today - pro video editing for everyone
- 10,000 native apps on OS X. And some neat new apps today. Macromedia Director MX, Bioncle, Net
- This is the fastest OS transition on record that we know of.
- "We made it" refering to the transition from OS 9 to OS X. This is not easy.
- We now have over 9.3 million active Mac OS X users. Approaching 40% of installed base... which is
- People loving Expose. Reviewing iChat AV, new Finder.
- Most advanced OS again, Microsoft copying again (laughter)
- Now... onto Mac OS X
- Giving out 1984 poster
- "20 Years" We are going to make something of this year. Some incredible new products. Some wonderful
things that will be announced over the year. It's going to be a great 20th anniversary year.
- "We couldn't help ourselves" :) Asks the created of the ad to stand up.
- Days before we introduced the Mac, we ran an ad... (1984). It was only run one time on paid television.
It's known as one of the best ads ever made. Playing 1984 now at the Keynote.
- 1st to bring 32 bit computing, now first to tbring 64bit computing
- We had to teach people what a mouse was, pointing and clicking. People had to get used to it... even
some developers we know
- Talking about the "boiler plate" from the bottom of the press releases. Apple ignited the personal
etc... and "reinvented" the personal computer in the 1980s with the Macintosh. Talking about how the Mac
20 years ago... with it's Graphical User Interface. Literally a decade ahead of everyone else
- Steve Jobs on stage. Welcome to MW 2004. We've got over 60,000 views connected by broadband from
over 1100 countries. We've got some fun things to announce this morning.
- Still playing Elvis music. More panning shots of the audience
- Apple Logos on the stage. Two monitors/computers
- Lots of people with PowerBooks in crowd.
- "Welcome to the 2004 MacWorld Keynote Event". Please turn off cell phones/pagers...
- Moscone Center, CA. It's about to start
- Shots of crowd, large audience, Phil Schiller being interviewed
- Web stream is live
- Apple online Stores Closed